Paraphrase and In-text reference

版主: clseap

Daniel
文章: 23
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:11

Paraphrase and In-text reference

文章Daniel » 2016-05-27, 13:33

It is very challenging to teach paraphrase and in-text reference to our university and graduate school students. After today’s workshop, any thoughts or reflections on how we, as instructors, can better help our students?
附加檔案
How to Avoid Plagiarism.pdf
(208.77 KiB) 已下載 64 次
最後由 Daniel 於 2016-05-27, 17:32 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Maggie
文章: 3
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:22

Re: Paraphrase and In-text reference

文章Maggie » 2016-05-27, 16:17

The practice on referencing system is very useful in teaching trivial rules that students need to know. By offering the specific examples first and asking students to come up with general rules, an instructor can fully engage students in thinking about these trivial rules of in-text references.

jiajia
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:17

文章jiajia » 2016-05-27, 16:17

I like What Daniel said about following several steps to help students learn paraphrase and in-text reference. Students can start from reorganizing the paragraph, highlighting words / phrases, using synonyms, rewriting paragraphs, and using trasitional words or changing structures. These could help students have a clear perspective on how they could start.

Jacy
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:20

文章Jacy » 2016-05-27, 16:19

I would definitely adopt the teaching techniques learned in today's workshop by using step by step instructions. Students will gradually learn the techniques of paraphrasing and in-text reference. Giving them the correct format is also important at the very beginning. Practice makes perfect!

Concon
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:21

文章Concon » 2016-05-27, 16:19

This workshop was very challenging because all of us had to paraphrase something. And from the practice we had, I think teachers will have to provided students with sufficient backups on vocabulary/ sentence-level awareness/ paragraph-level awareness about the articles they are going to paraphrase; at the same time, telling them the consequences of plagiarism/ academic honesty. I have got some insights from how to oraganize the class and the flow, that was very helpful.

Jenny
文章: 4
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:20

文章Jenny » 2016-05-27, 16:22

I think teaching paraphrasing is benefitial to students because in their academic writing they have to avoid plaiarism all the time, and paraphrasing is an essential skill. I really like the ways that Daniel shared because he divided how to paraphrase into several steps so that our students can understand and apply paraphrasing in an effective way. It may reduce stress posed on some students who are not high-achieving and help them feel easier and more confident in paraphrasing. :D
But I do have a question. As an intructor, how can we mark a paraphrased paragraph since thery may not be accurate answers?

Xinhui
文章: 7
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:23

文章Xinhui » 2016-05-27, 16:22

Daniel 寫:It is very challenging to teach paraphrase and in-text reference to our university and graduate school students. After today’s workshop, any thoughts or reflections on how we, as instructors, can better help our students?

It is a very useful lecture. I think it is a useful strategy to let students write their thoughts on the white boards and discuss the paraphrasing with other groups, which might help students compare different wirting styles and recognize which is the better one and then learn much more from peers. Also, this kind of training will arise students' awareness of plagarism when writing articles.

Sherri
文章: 14
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:19

文章Sherri » 2016-05-27, 16:22

jiajia 寫:Students can start from reorganizing the paragraph, highlighting words / phrases, using synonyms, rewriting paragraphs, and using trasitional words or changing structures. These could help students have a clear perspective on how they could start.

I, too, have found these guided writing activities useful in helping learners step by step when paraphrasing. Despite the risk of sacrificing some principle rules of paragraph writing after reorganizing, such as the need for a topic sentence, these strategies are still worthing being adopted in classes.

回到「2016教師成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客