Academic Speaking Skills Assessed in TOEFL iBT

本場主題為Academic Speaking Skills Assessed in TOEFL iBT,由Daniel及Maggie主講

版主: clseap

Daniel
文章: 23
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:11

Academic Speaking Skills Assessed in TOEFL iBT

文章Daniel » 2016-04-22, 14:56

When evaluating academic speaking, people often use delivery, language use, and topic development as criteria (based on TOEFL iBT speaking).
 1. Delivery: pace and clarity of speech including pronunciation, rhythm, intonation, rate of speech, pause structure, and fluency
 2. Language Use: range, precision, and effectiveness of grammatical and lexical features
 3. Topic Development: completeness and overall coherence

As instructors, which one do you think is more difficult for our students? Which one do you think is more difficult to teach? Any instructional strategies to share?

jiajia
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:17

Re: Academic Speaking Skills Assessed in TOEFL iBT

文章jiajia » 2016-04-22, 15:32

I think among the three, topic development is more difficult for our students.

Topic development includes the elaboration of ideas. That is, students may need to have good examples to support their positions. These examples or evidence come from expereince. However students often have no relevant background to share ideas. Therefore, topic development is difficult for students.

Regarding instructional strategies, there are several perspectives to share. First of all, reading can be a direction for us to try. From reading, students may gain contextualize knowledge to express opinions. Secondly, we may give students opportunities to learn from other speaking models. Through the analysis of other spoken texts, students may be able to understand structure and discourse. This could be helpful when they learn to develop topics.

Sherri
文章: 14
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:19

文章Sherri » 2016-04-22, 15:33

From my experience, I'd say topic development is most difficult for students to learn primarily because it invovles logic reasoning and use of clear structure. In terms of logic reasoning, it's quite challenging for many students to identify the connection between topic statement and supporting details. Also, they tend to circulate around one point and simply repeat the same supporting details over and over. As for use of a clear structure, some students may easily be carried away by all the details, and when they get lost, there will be no connection between the topic and concluding statements. So in short, topic statment is most difficult for students to learn in terms of speaking.

Concon
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:21

文章Concon » 2016-04-22, 15:34

As intructors, I think Topic Development is more difficult to teach. First, to cultivate students with a clear progression of ideas or logic is not an easy job. The students need to have sufficient exposures to the layout of English as to come up with a coherent elaboration or related ideas. Second, to familiarize students with the concept of main ideas or supporting details is quite difficult. They didn't have this kind of practice / prompt before, so most of thier language development is not clear, and for most of the time, very repetitive. They are unable to sustain their speech to complete a task in some way. These are the reasons why I think Topic Development is difficult for me to teach.

Jennifer
文章: 6
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 15:07

文章Jennifer » 2016-04-22, 15:40

As an instructor, I think topic development is the most difficult for my students, and it’s also the most challenging part to teach. I think making a table/ chart and ask students to develop ideas and providing relevant examples can help them to structure their ideas. Students can share their topic sentence(s) and examples with their group members. Then, the instructor can point out some good examples and elaborate on how to respond with relevant and coherent sentences/ ideas.

Jenny
文章: 4
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:20

文章Jenny » 2016-04-22, 15:41

In my opinion, topic development is more difficult for students and also more difficult to teach. Many times, students don't explicitly give supports or examples. They often provide a general idea as an example, or sometimes they don't give specific examples. This makes a response lack of completeness. Also, if a student doesn't have knowledge about the content, it might be more difficult to give coherence. For an instructor, it's difficult to teach students how to develop a topic. Probably, forcing them to practice, practice and practice giving responses on a variety of topics and have in-class discussions in groups all the time can help them. :lol:
Once they do some similar tasks in class, they may feel safer or more confident on exams. And they can refer to the reasons or details from their previous in-class discussions and use them in their responses.

Pochen
文章: 7
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:23

文章Pochen » 2016-04-22, 15:43

I think that topic development is the most difficult for students. Firstly, the way for Taiwanese students to develop a topic require them to shift the Chinese thinking way to English thinking way; yet these two languages take very different way to think. Secondly, to develop a topic of completeness and overall coherence needs clear logic to move on ideas with sentences. It is not like some grammar rules or structures that easy to follow or check by students themselves. Because of the above two reasons, I think topic development is the most challenging one for our students, therefore, is the most challenging one for teacher as well.

Xinhui
文章: 7
註冊時間: 2016-04-22, 14:23

文章Xinhui » 2016-04-22, 15:43

I think the more difficult criteria for students and for teachers to teach is topic development.
Well-orgainized topic development is regared defining the quesiton types, giveing relevant instances or ideas to support and critical thinking skills. Students need to distinguish the different genre of questions and know how to use the right expression to clarify their ideas or opinions.
In my opinion, instrcutors should analyze the structures of the texts/materails first, and then combine with four language skills to let steudents figure out the main points/ideas step by step.

回到「2016.04.22教師成長工作坊第1場(Academic Speaking Skills Assessed in TOEFL iBT)」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客